Pages

Saturday 31 October 2015

Flipped Learning - a retrospective look

Flipped learning is a popular way of providing opportunities for students to learn.  I was looking through some of my notes on flipping and came across these examples that I had used in my teaching practice.  I thought it was worth sharing again.
Ways in which I have used flipped learning.
Trialling of different approaches.
  1. Using flipped learning for staff PD. Using Techsmith’s Jing (free for 5 minute videos)  or Snagit software (about $30 for a download of this software from Techsmith), I have made videos for professional development of staff and posted them in a Myportfolio group or onto youtube as many of the flippers do.  This enables the staff to access the content of professional development 24/7.  PD as and when it is needed, just in time PD.  I can also post these videos to youtube and they can be accessed directly from there.  My example is shown here.
  2. Giving instruction on a virtual field trip. Using the same software, so that students who miss out on the field trips through any absence, also have the chance to catch up by using the videos posted on youtube has been a successful method of delivery of content. My example is shown here.
  3. Instructional videos for practicals I have made and posted these to our learning management system - Moodle (embedding them, using youtube) so that students can refer to them when carrying out these tasks.  This is also extremely useful when I have been absent and a reliever has been in class. Example for giving instructions like this is here.
  4. Involving students in filming the videos.  Students can also be involved in videoing this instruction, so it is not onerous for the teacher to make.  My example of a video made by a student is at this link.
  5. Ask students to create videos.  This really can show their understanding and they can also be posted on the learning management system so that they can use them to study or revise from.  This is particularly effective as the student takes ownership of the video and is keen to establish correct facts to learn from later.  My example is shown here. (My year 11 Maori boys class)
Use software to enhance videos. (Students or teachers)  Standards software like Jing will just record and allow basic editing for 5 minute videos.  An upgrade to Snagit will allow you to use some editing tools to enhance your videos. Camtasia is a full editing and enhancing programme ($200 for teachers).  Note that there is other free software to enhance the videos, for example one called Bubblr which gives you the ability to add short quizzes to youtube videos, or Presentationtube which allows you to generate videos from your Powerpoint presentations.  CollaborizeClassroom.com is also useful for engagement and teachers can track responses, and students can collaborate on responses to videos.  I have also used the Educreations app on the ipad.

No comments:

Post a Comment